The precipitation for the month of December, 2016 showed above to well above average precipitation over northern coast of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt, coast of Côte d’Ivoire, southern Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, southern Congo and northern DRC, western Angola, southern Mozambique and eastern Zimbabwe. Below to well below average precipitation was observed over north eastern coast of Libya, eastern Uganda, much of Kenya, north eastern Tanzania and Mozambique, south eastern part of South Africa and much of Madagascar.
- Seasonal precipitation in percentage (October-November-December, 2016), showed above to well above average precipitation was observed over coast of Morocco and Tunisia, south western Nigeria, much of Côte d’Ivoire and CAR, south western part of South Sudan, north eastern DRC, western Angola and much of southern Mozambique. Below to well below average precipitation was observed over Sierra Leone and Gabon, south eastern parts of East Africa, Malawi, northern Mozambique, southern parts of Southern African Region and much of Madagascar.
- Positive temperature anomalies in December, 2016 greater than 20C were observed over southern Algeria, much of West Africa Region, north western Chad, southern Namibia and much of South Africa.
- Seasonal temperature anomalies greater than or equal to 2°C for October-November-December, 2016 were observed over southern part of Egypt and northern fringe of Sudan, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Benin, much of Nigeria, Gabon, DRC, Angola, Namibia , and central part of South Africa.
- Near to below average precipitation is very likely over south-easternmost of DRC, southern Tanzania, northern Zambia and extreme north Mozambique from January to March 2017.
- During January to March near to above average precipitation is very likely over northern Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and extreme north-western part of Libya and northern DRC.
- Above average precipitation is very likely over extreme south Congo, south-western DRC, northern and southern extreme of Angola, Namibia, Botswana, southern Zimbabwe and much of northern South Africa from January to March 2017
- From January to March 2017 near to above average temperature is very likely over eastern parts of North Africa, north-eastern West Africa, Northern Central Africa and Eastern Africa