The precipitation for the month of February, 2017 showed above to well above average precipitation over Mediterranean coastal areas of Morocco and Algeria, Gulf of Guinea coastal area of Togo, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire and Liberia, Equatorial Guinea, western Gabon, northern Congo, much of DRC, Zambia, western to southern Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, much of Namibia and South Africa. Below to well below average precipitation was however observed over north eastern Madagascar. Elsewhere over the continent near average precipitation prevailed.
- Seasonal precipitation in percentage of average (December-January-February 2016/2017), showed above to well above average precipitation over coast of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, southern extreme of Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana, Equatorial Guinea, Southern Congo, western and northern extreme DRC, southern Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, southern Mozambique and much of south Africa. Below to well below average precipitation was however observed over southern Kenya, north eastern parts of Tanzania, northern Mozambique and Central Madagascar.
- Positive temperature anomalies in February, 2017 greater than 2°C were observed over southern Morocco, south western extremes of Algeria, much of Mauritania and north western Mali.
- Seasonal temperature anomalies greater than or equal to 2°C for December-January-February, 2016/2017 were observed over Mauritania, north western Mali and Guinea Bissau.
- During the season March to May, 2017 above average precipitation is very likely over southern parts of Zambia and Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, much of South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland. Over Egypt, northern extreme of Sudan, Gulf of Guinea coastal areas of southern Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana and eastern Côte d’Ivoire near to above average precipitation is very likely.
- Near to below average precipitation is likely over northern Morocco, Sierra Leon, Liberia, southern extreme of Tanzania, northern parts of Mozambique and much of northern Madagascar from March to May 2017. However, well below average precipitation is not unlikely over southern parts of Somalia and Ethiopia, northern Kenya and Uganda within the season.
- Near to average temperature is very likely over north western Libya, Tunisia, much of Algeria, Morocco, Mauritania, northern parts of Mali, Burkina Faso and Nigeria, southern extreme of Niger and Chad. Above average temperature is very likely over south eastern Algeria, southern Libya, northern Niger and Chad, much of Ethiopia, Egypt and southern extreme of South Africa from March to May 2017.